Monday, October 13, 2008

Bagdadi

Sunday evening, Jana took me to a Sufi temple. Even though Jana's a Hindu, he's open to anything which exhibits genuine spirituality and has been accepted by the Sufis. Sufism is the mystical tradition of Islam, and while on paper they are Muslims, in practice I found them to behave almost identically to Tibetan Buddhists.

Before I went, I was asked by Jana to have a shower and put on clean clothes. When we arrived at the temple, I had to thoroughly was both my feet and then put on a scarf to cover my hair.

We first went into the shrine room which was decorated in Islamic imagery and which also contained a large decorative coffin. I discovered that the coffin contained the body of the temple spiritual master who had died 3 months earlier. We had brought bags of flower petals with us, which we used to decorate the coffin and shrine.

The deceased master was succeeded by his son, Hazarat Bagdadi Bava shown in the photo with his son at the right of the picture. The family were originally from Baghdad, but were now resident in India.

Bagdadi didn't speak much. He just seemed to observe. And would occasionally get up and spit on the roots of a nearby tree. From time to time, visitors would come over and offer the master money or other gifts. Bagdadi would just hold their hands or place his hands on their head. Sometimes he would spend a minute muttering something in Arabic and then blow three times on the visitor's forehead. In my own tradition, Tibetan Buddhist lamas receite mantras in Sanskrit which blesses the breath. The lama will then blow onto a person or animal so they may receive the blessing.

We were offered food and drink while we were there which I understand had special blessings. I also met Bagdadi's mother, the widow of the deceased master. Again, disciples there considered her to be a spiritual master and sought blessings from her.

The ambiance at this temple was one of highly apparent loving kindness. When anybody came or went they would greet each and every member of the congregation with a handshake followed by a gesture towards their heart.

Jana told me to make aspirations, as the masters here and the associated celestial beings would grant them for me. So I aspired that my moody brother attain instant and lasting happiness. And that I find a guru entirely appropriate for my own path.

As I fell asleep that evening, I had dream-like visions of Bagdadi's mother who was emanating a very compassionate feeling. During the night I dreamed that Jigme Khyentse Rinpoche was giving me teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment