Saturday, October 4, 2008

Context

Ok, cool weird stuff has already started happening so it's time to start writing my blog.

I'm an IT contractor (specializing in enterprise Java) and I'm English. I'm also a Buddhist of a Tibetan tradition and I've signed up for a 4-year language course. The course is in Dharamsala, North India and starts in November.

Right now I'm working for an IT company. I've been working mainly in the spare-bedroom in my Mum's house. Her house is in Huddersfield, UK, but that's a different story altogether.

My boss contracted help from an Indian IT company in Gandhi-nagar, Gujarat. The deal is that I design the project and the staff in Gandhinagar implement it. Me and the company I work for are in different countries so I work from my laptop at home. And I get paid per hour. In pounds sterling. And I get to make all the technical decisions. It's basically my dream contract.

My boss thought I was crazy when I phoned him and informed him I was quitting my job and moving to the Himalayas to learn Tibetan. After a while he came round and we agreed that he respected my life decisions and rather than quit I'll plan to work just a couple of hours per week, consulting more than anything else. And that I'd fly to Gandhinagar for the month of October and train the new staff.

So that's why I'm here in the hotel in Gandhinagar. And it's kind of fortunate because now I'm in India and the company's paying for it. I've been here a week and already a bunch of cool, weird and annoying stuff has been happening. I'm going to write it all down in this blog. Soon. When I get my act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment